Friday, February 25, 2011

Autumn Planting


The last few mornings have had a chill about them which makes me think of Autumn, which is not far away.  We have been sleeping under blankets and the days are getting shorter.  Autumn is such a beautiful time of year.  It means we need to stockpile wood, and that the sheep will be joining soon.


I have planted some seedlings this past week.  Beans, peas, cauliflower and cabbage.  I need to get some seeds in too so I can ensure a good crop of veggies for the next little while. 

I have dug some compost into the empty beds before planting.  I now have a dedicated compost area which has three sections at the moment but also has room to expand should I need it to.  Things like this are slowly coming together which is wonderful.
  

We put a new veggie bed in the front yard which I have started preparing but I think a load of soil from the feedlot might be in order to finish it off.

I love this old iron bed head that it a perfect for for the width of my garden beds and acts as a bit of a trellis.  It was nailed to the front porch as a decoration when we moved in but this is a more useful way for me to use it.


1 comment:

Catherine (Alecat Music) said...

Hi! I'm just dropping in from DTE.

Are you clever, using the bedhead like that. Pretty and practical .. the best combination! :)

It's feeling very autumnal here too. My children are already asking to plant their broad beans, lol!

Catherine (Melbourne)